Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Book Review: Dracula

Finally I've finshed it! Phew! Its been a long time since I've written a review (all those book club books taking up my reading time...) But finally Dracula is finished! So, here is what I think.


Lucy is weak and annoying, and I'm quite glad she died, but it took so long. I suppose it was nessisary for the whole vampire thing, but I really wished she had just, you know, died. Although, it did make me feel very sorry for Seward, Quincy and Godalming. I really liked Mina, she was very strong even in the face of tragidy, which is unusual for a victorian woman, but I liked it. Even though the book was very long, and some parts (chasing down Dracula) seemed to take forever, and a lot of the twists I could see coming, (which I put down to my modern brain being quite used to plot twists. In fact, I'm usually the first one in the cinema of a thriller to get it.) Overall Ifound the book quite enjoyable. However, I found that the ending was overall much too neat and succinct. Its like, 200 pages of chasing Dracula, then killed his wenches, kill him, all in about 10 pages. The End, with a feel good afternote about babies, lol.


Anyways, its a definate classic, and should be read by everyone, especially now when Vampires are so popular. I give Dracula by Bram Stoker 4/5.


I've also been watching the Dracula movies, starting with the 1931 version, and next weekend going to the 1958 version. Its quite fun to see their interpretation of Dracula. In other news, the next book is a nice short one: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay. Hope to write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment